Wouldn't it be cool to have your Google+ profile pic pop up next to your searched results(your blog posts and web pages)? Not only can it make you famous, it makes your searched content seem more trust worthy. This is a must if you're a serious blogger.
In order to complete this tutorial, you will need a Google+ profile account and the ability to write html links in a page or blog post.
- In order to make your post or page have your Google+ photo next to it when searched, you first need to insert a link pointing to your Google+ account.
- In your post(s)/page(s) you need to create a link like this, pointing to your Google+ account:
<a href="https://plus.google.com/u/0/101826724762891396271?rel=author">My Google+ Page</a>
When you type a normal Google+ URL in the browser, it looks like this:
but a 'Google Authorization' link takes only the green portion of the standard URL and adds:
to the end of the link.
- Next you have to log into your Google+ account.
- Click on the profile icon on the left.
- Click the 'About' tab.
- Click on the blue 'Edit Profile' button at the top of the page.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on 'Contributor to".
- Click the 'Add custom link' link.
- Enter the website URL (example: http://mywebsite.com) that contains the 'Google Authorization' link you created just created.
Finished!... Now when your page/post shows up in search results your thumbnails will appear. It takes about 1 week to take affect.
Here's a link to Google's instructions on how to achieve Google Authorization: http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1408986&expand=option2 I suggest you read, it. It's more thorough and there are tools there allowing you to test it.