You can crop a picture online for free using Pixlr. Follow the steps below.
- Go to: http://pixlr.com/editor/
- Select the 'Open image from computer' option.
- If this option doesn't appear for you, press (Ctrl-o).
- Find the image you wish to crop in the directory on your computer, select it and click 'Open'.
- Select 'Aspect ratio' from the 'Constraints:' drop down menu.
- Enter the dimension you wish to crop your image to in the 'width:' and 'Height:' fields.
- Next click on the crop tool icon shown in the image above.
- Drag the crop brackets over the image and release the mouse button.
- Drag and drop the blue corners of the crop area to fine tune your cropped area.
- Press the 'Enter' key to crop or the 'ESC' key to cancel.
- Press (CTRL-S) to save your new image to your computer or select 'Save...' under the 'File' menu option at the top of the window.
Note: when you save your image set the quality to 72. This is the optimal setting for the web.
Important: I noticed a bug when saving images. Sometimes Pixlr doesn't add the file-type extension to the image when saved. To solve this problem, type in the image extensions along with the file name when saving images.