WordPress General Admin Instructions
You must first log into your WordPress website:
login URL: www.yourwebsite.com/wp-admin
When you make a blog post in WordPress you should also assign a category to it. For example if you plan on writing posts about car manufacturers and Honda in particular, your categories could be 'car manufacturers' and 'Honda'.
To create a blog category:
- Mouse over the 'Posts' button on the left of the screen & click the down arrow that appears.
- Click 'Categories'.
- Enter the name of your category in the 'Name' field and click the 'Add New Category' button. If your category is a more specific version of another category, you can use the 'Parent' drop down box to set it's parent category. This is helpful for SEO and navigation purposes.
- You can leave the 'Slug' field blank.
To make a blog post:
- Click on the 'Posts' button on the left side of the screen.
- Click the 'Add New' button.
- Enter content into the title field and the main content area.
NOTE: There are two tabs on the main content field 'Visual', and 'HTML'. With the 'HTML' tab selected you're able to enter/edit html markup in the post body. With the 'Visual' tab selected you are able to use WordPress's built in wysiwyg editor.
- Put a check next to each category you think applies to your post under the 'Categories' area on the right side of the screen.
- Enter ~6 Tags in the 'Post Tags' area field separated by commas then press the 'Add' button. Tags are keywords relating to the post. For example if I was writing about Honda V.S. Ford, my tags would be 'cars, ford vs honda, honda, ford, car manufacturer'. Tags are good for SEO purposes especially when you have a 'Tag Cloud' on your website.
- Click the 'Publish' button.
NOTE: Ideally your blog posts should be around 500 words long. Mentioning the location and service details in your blog posts will help SEO.
To edit blog posts:
- Click 'Posts'.
- Click the post link you want to edit.
- Make your changes and click the 'Update' button.